You Are Doing Enough: A Self Pep Talk

You Are Doing Enough: A Self Pep Talk

Guess what?

You are doing enough.

You are. Really.

A lot of the time we may find ourselves getting caught up in the motions of our day-to-day lives, busily doing (or not doing) all the things we need to accomplish from our never-ending to-do lists.

But when we don't check in with ourselves or celebrate the inevitable wins we obtain during the process, no matter how small or seemingly inconsequential they may appear to be and as tempting as it can be to diminish their importance, we can end up feeling burnt out and under-appreciated over time.

If you haven't yet heard this from anyone today, this week, this month, or maybe even ever (maybe not even from yourself), then permit yourself to derive some comfort from these words here.

You are doing enough and I am proud of you.

If all you did was get out of bed this afternoon, that's fantastic! It can be hard sometimes to emerge from the warm cocoon of our slumber to greet the oftentimes unpredictable state of the world in our lives.

If all you did was anything but productive, cheers! Rest is productive, too!

If you only got about 78% of your tasks done and are beating yourself up about that remaining 22%, slowly nudge your mind and your attention back to what you did do while lessening the self-imposed pressure on what remains leftover. 78% is a lot!

When I was in high school, I would be so mean to myself because of a difference in a few measly percentage points in the grades I got versus the grades I wanted. I was getting straight As, but I was so focused on that extra 2% or so that I never allowed myself to be happy nor to be appreciative of what I had achieved right in front of me.

It was hard work, but I only ended up punishing myself with more hard work at the expense of my mental health. I could have attained the same motivational results while being nicer to myself with rewards.

You don't have to do everything all at once. It's alright to take your time and do what you can to the best of your abilities.

It can be hard to take steps back or moments to reflect on how far we've come or how much we've done when we're constantly fixated on what remains unfinished or what lies ahead. We're always preparing for the future, which is important, but it's also equally important to appreciate and live in the present.

You are enough, and your worth is not determined by your output of the amount of things that you do.

So, what's the best tip to use for when you're tempted to push yourself down the spiral of self-hatred for not having done what you believe to be enough?

The number one thing is to treat and talk to yourself like you would your closest friend or loved one.

If they were saying all those horrible things you think to yourself, would you agree? Or would you comfort them, say nice things to override the mean ones, and reassure them that you still love them and that they're enough?

Then why can't you do the same for yourself?

This is a similar idea, in my opinion, to reparenting your inner child. You want to break the negative cyclical thoughts and patterns with curiosity, optimism, and patience. You would do the same for others. They are worth it. So are you.

There's still time to do everything. For now, though, regardless of the stage you're in for the completion of all that you'd like to do, you're doing great.

You are enough.

Still not sure? Check out The Self Care Bucket List for a wealth of ideas and activities to engage in. You're worth it.

I hope this helps. Sometimes we don't know what we're missing and need to hear until we hear it. I almost didn't want to post this, because we all experience doubts about our work (more on imposter syndrome later!), but then my partner read my words out back to me, which really helped, so I think it is enough. :)

Daria :)

Daria Toptygina

Author

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.

Related Posts

3 times in your life it’s OK to QUIT!
3 times in your life it’s OK to QUIT!
Who wants to throw their hands up in the air and just QUIT today? When it is a-okay to walk away. 
Read More
Biggest Red Flags in a New Relationship
Biggest Red Flags in a New Relationship
Sometimes, your lust for the other individual can cloud your judgment and make you ignore red flags. Here’s a list of wh
Read More
May is Mental Health Awareness Month - Is Your Mental Health Top of Mind?
May is Mental Health Awareness Month - Is Your Mental Health Top of Mind?
What Can You Do to Strengthen Your Mental Health? Here are Five Tips to Keep Your Mental Health Strong.
Read More